Saturday, July 16, 2005

Higher Learning

Yesterday, I woke up... it was about 11 am, and I turned on my tv... I was changing all the channels until I found one with a movie that appeared interesting... it was "Higher Learning" from John Singleton with Omar Epps, Kristy Swanson, Jennifer Connelly, Ice Cube. In my country the translation is "Sementes de Raiva".
At first it seemed like an ordinary movie, but as I continued to watch, it astonished me.
It was really an involving story, very accurate and actual, at the same time scary but profound.
I can't describe the feeling, but it still remains inside me... it still tickles inside my mind and arouses my heart.

Here is a short description:
The film follows a cross-section of students at fictional Colombus University as they head down varied paths during one tumultuous semester. The central characters are Malik (Omar Epps), a freshman on a track scholarship; Kristen (Kristy Swanson), a naive freshman out of Orange County, California; and Remy (Michael Rapaport), also a freshman, whose alienation leads him to join a group of Neo-Nazi skinheads. Kristen's storyline, in which she is date raped and turns to the consoling arms of Taryn (Jennifer Connelly), a lesbian, largely has little association with the linked, racially-oriented ones of Malik and Remy, but by film's end all three storylines converge in a dramatic fashion.
Thematically, though, all three main plot threads are consistently linked in the sense they show how young people strive to find their rightful niche in a university, much like they try to find one in life in general, sometimes going down the wrong path--as in the case of Remy, whose adopted ideology of hate inevitably leads to violence. But it is with the skinheads that Remy finds a sense of belonging and purpose, something he clearly lacks in the film's opening stages. Kristen personifies young people's natural fascination with the new and unexplored (in her case, lesbianism). Malik, like so many young people, struggles to find a sense of direction in general, not applying his best efforts on the track, in the classroom, or anyone else, much to the chagrin of his girlfriend Deja (Tyra Banks) and his political science professor Mr. Phipps (Laurence Fishburne).
in http://www.godamongdirectors.com/singleton/higher.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home